Monday, February 3, 2014

Goodnight Punpun

Instead of sleeping I finished reading Oyasumi Punpun, possibly one of the most heartfelt and jarring pieces of fiction I have read in a long time. Punpun is about the life of a particularly impressionable young Japanese boy named Punpun Onondera and the trials and tribulations of being a growing human being torn apart by the storm of circumstances that influence one's life.
A picture of Onondera Punpun
Did I forget to mention Punpun is depicted throughout the entire manga as a silly doodle bird? Well he is, and not just that either. As the story progresses and Punpun changes his avatar changes with him and many changes take place. Nobody else sees this change and he appears to everyone else in his universe as a normal human but we the audience have the privilege of seeing Punpun the way he sees himself. A silly storytelling device at first glance eventually became one of the most dramatic and anxiety producing parts of the story.

I just finished it, so I'd like to give this comic a full review once I've thought on it a bit more but I sit here typing this I am still absolutely blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment