Thursday, January 23, 2014

Arson and Uneployment

In the four years I've lived in Portland nothing has ever happened to me personally that would lead me to describe Portland as 'dangerous' until last night. Our third floor apartment overlooks the alley housing all of the building's trash cans and last night some giggly little punks decided it would be funny to start a fire.
I heard them laughing and talking to each other, which isn't odd in itself because bums get in there and dig through trash all the time but then I heard the telltale 'whooshing' fire noise and someone yell for help. I went to the window and saw the light and even as I was looking down at the opposite wall I could tell it was intensifying by the second. Next thing I know my adrenaline kicks in and I started to panic. I ran back into the living room and told Keegan and we grabbed our coats and ran outside. I went out and yelled frantically in the hall until everyone knew I was serious.
Here's the video I took from my phone once we got out.


That's Keegan and I on the video, and that pop you hear is another fire starting across the street.

It was bizarre and I feel like a fool for getting so worked up now but I had no idea what was gonna happen and in those types of situations when your heart is beating so fast you just react. In the end we found out that they lit it right next to the gas line and it could have been a lot worse so with that in mind we all went to sleep without news of the arsonist's fates. A preliminary portland news search this morning didn't turn up much so I suppose it must not be that big of a deal all things considered, but it shook me up quite a bit.

In other news I am still unemployed but with the North Dakota plan in mind I am feeling a renewed sense of dedication. I applied for 3 places today which isn't really much to brag about but I think I'll look for three more later if I remember and 6 jobs applied for is 6 more than I had yesterday. Yesterday was the worst. I had that depressed feeling, lethargic, hollow. I couldn't sit and do nothing and nothing seemed worth doing. The fire hit me like a lightening bolt and I was back to normal after that. This morning I vowed to manage my video game time which is something I haven't done in awhile. It's not bad so far but we'll see if I can keep it up.



2 comments:

  1. oh gee that's really dangerous >:( I'm glad nothing all too serious sprung from it !
    also,I put you in my blog reading list thingy on my frontpage but i figured i should also ask if thats okay since i know some blogspots are meant to be more privateish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! It's fine with me! I don't know that my blog is always gonna be super entertaining though. : (
      If you do though can I do the same and put you on mine?

      Delete